NYHIST-L Archives

May 2003

From:
"Susan L. McCormick" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 15:03:21 -0400
"Capital Voices ~ Capital Lives: Discovering, Recording, and
Preserving the Stories of Our Past"
Saturday, May 31, 2003
from 8:15 am to 5:00 pm
University at Albany Downtown Campus
Milne 200

This event officially launches the Capital Voices ~ Capital Lives Aural
History Project -- an ongoing effort to gather, preserve, and make
accessible the stories, sounds, voices, and music of this historically-rich
region, the Conference should be of intere. The program is now on line at:
<http://www.albany.edu/capitalvoices>.

This day-long celebration and exploration of sonic history should be of
interest to historians, archivists, and anyone curious about exploring
history through sound. A variety of workshops and presentations will take
place throughout the day. There will also be exhibits focusing on
sound/music recording and radio broadcasting -- including one provided by
the Schenectady Museum. The
conference -- including a buffet lunch -- is free and open to the public.
Please encourage staff, colleagues, friends, and family members to join us.

Planned sessions include:

* Opening comments from John J. McEneny and Helen DesFosses
* Exploring the Region's History Through Sound: An Introduction to the
Capital Voices Project
* Doing Oral History: An Introductory Workshop
* Locating, Preserving, and Restoring Archival and Heritage Audio
* Those Were the Days: A History of Radio in the Capital Region
* Telling Stories of Our Communities With Sound: The Art of the Documentary
* Discovering the Music and Musicians of the Capital Region
* "I Remember When" or "From Your Basements and Attics": Sharing Your
Favorite Stories and Recordings of the Capital Region

We hope to see all of you there!

If you have questions, email us at: [log in to unmask]

Gerry Zahavi & Susan McCormick,
Project Directors,
Capital Voices ~ Capital Lives,
Department of History
University at Albany
1400 Washington Ave.
Albany, NY 12222
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 518-442-4805 (leave a message if we're not there; we'll get back to
you!)