NYHIST-L Archives

January 2006

From:
David Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:46:22 -0500
A second book that I recently read that connects to New York State history
is Sean Wilentz's massive new book "The Rise of American Democracy: From
Jefferson to Lincoln." I'd have to say it was one of the best books I've
read in the last couple of years.

Although, the book covers the development of Democracy in the entire United
States, New York's political history plays a major role in book. As New York
passed New England, Virginia, and Pennsylvania in national importance, you
would expect the author to focus more & more on New York history.

One thing you find out is that the "rise of democracy" was certainly not a
straight line from Point A to Point B. Often a step forward was accompanied
by a step backward. For example, Tennessee and North Carolina allowed
property owning free blacks to vote; New Jersey allowed property owning
women to vote. When those states became "more democratic" and opened up the
franchise to all free white adult males, the blacks lost the vote in
Tennessee & North Carolina and the women theirs in New Jersey.

New York's convoluted treament of the right of blacks to vote is a lesson in
itself in the "rise of democracy."

Massive - well over 700 pages - with about 200 pages of notes - and very
well written, I'd highly recommend this book, even if you just wanted to
read the sections on the political developments in New York State from the
post-Revolutionary War period to the outbreak of the Civil War.

David Roberts
Hollywood, MD