NYHIST-L Archives

December 2016

From:
Chris Andrle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2016 15:43:09 -0500
Thanks. I've been through Whitford several times, haven't seen anything
specific on boat sizes. Do you have a specific reference?

I found this recently:
Hulbert, Archer Butler, Historic Highways of America: The Great American
Canals, The Erie Canal, 1904.
Engineer N. S. Roberts in a report dated January 17, 1835, said: “The
present canal admits boats 13 1/2 feet wide, 3 feet draught, 80 feet long,
displaces 80 tons water, weight of boat 30 to 35 tons, cargo 45 tons. Size
of canal, 28 [26?] feet bottom, 40 feet surface, 4 feet depth cross section
= 136 [132?] square feet.

I believe that this, regarding the 7 1/2 foot x 61 foot Chief Engineer of
Rome, is incorrect:
Koeppel, Gerard. Bond of Union: Building the Erie Canal and the American
Empire, 2009, p. 258.
“These were the standard dimensions for the first generation of canal boats
that prevailed throughout the 1820s; they could carry a thousand bushels of
wheat, thirty tons of freight, or a hundred passengers.”