NYHIST-L Archives

November 2001

From:
Don Rittner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:40:36 -0500
> Hardware dependent refers having the computer equipment to read the data.
> For example, try reading computer files created in the 1970s and stored on
> 7inch floppy disks. Or how about database or word processing files created
> 20 years ago and stored in an obsolete software program such as
> OfficeWriter. I agree one hundred percent that digital technologies are
> fantastic for access. The problems associated with microfilm are not due to
> the technology, but staff who were not trained properly or who did not
> follow accepted guidelines for microfilming.  Microfilming or digitization
> is only as good as the humans who operate these technologies. What happens
> when a new format replaces JPEG? WILL DVD replace the CD as the acceptable
> storage medium? Yes, there are free or shareware conversion programs but
> you still need to PAY for staff to do the converting.

Brian, that really is not a problem.  There are many programs on the market
that will go into a computer file and pull out the "data fork" that is the
text or image information of a file.  I do it all the time when my pc
friends send me files that I cannot open on my iMac.  There are companies
that specialize in converting old formats to newer ones,  and there are
plenty of old timers out there that are willing - can you all say "Y2K"???
I knew you could.  The State hired hundreds of old COBOL programmers for
that one.

Your points on staff expertise are well taken, and of course cost.  However,
it seems to me that the computer industry is well aware of upward and
backward compatibility - except perhaps for Microsoft but that is a
different story :)  and they are making sure that you can migrate upwards
but that really has not been a problem.  The fact that the computer industry
years ago agreed on ASCII as a standard shows that.  Also I don't believe
there is a graphic file format I cannot open with my trusty "Canopener" (A
software program), or others.  And most image formats are readily
transferable though the quality may and does suffer.  At this point in time
TIFF files are probably the best since they retain all of the color or gray
information and can be converted to less formats.  But your remark about DVD
replacing CD is only a transfer and play issue not a digital problem.  A
TIFF file is a TIFF file and as long as the mechanics can read them, it
doesn't really matter if it is on CD, DVD, optical, or a copy on my VHS
videoplayer.  There is no degradation of the digital representation of an
image only the medium it is sitting on.  Someday, I predict that we will be
using something like pure silicon or a hybrid metal that has a shelf life of
millions of years for archiving.

> In addition we probably have at least 20-30 million pages of records in our
> collections. We have not focused on digitizing primary sources, but rather
> digitizing all of our finding aids see http://library.albany.edu/speccoll/

What about using "Independent Study" or "Work study" students at SUNYA???

> There are semester long courses on preserving electronic data, so I am not
> going to present all the argument here. Simply put, if you are planning a
> project to reformat a collection then should be in digital format for
> ACCESS. and microfilm for PRESERVATION . Whether scanning or microfilming,
> you still need to have the funds to pay staff to do the scanning. The
> additional cost in digitization is migrating the formats so that the
> information  will be readable in the future.

How about digital for access and originals for preservation?  It seems to me
that if a librarian had designed that new science library you have on campus
they would have utilized ALL the space and not have that totally useless,
echo creating, 5 story atrium in the middle!!!!!  Is it a library or a tomb?

dr