NYHIST-L Archives

December 2000

From:
Don Rittner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:36:16 -0500
On point 11, I looked into acquiring copies of local Troy newspapers from
Michigan.  The total price for the nine newspapers was $61,859.74.  Ouch!
Can you say scam?  I knew you could!  Considering that many of these papers
were given FREE to the microfilming companies in exchange for copies of the
microfilm, I consider this highway robbery.

I don't agree with your assessment on digital photography.  The technology
is getting very good and many professional photographers who share your
values on quality are migrating over to it (they better if they want to
continue their career - a former head of the New York State Photographer's
Association is now a mail man).  Someone here mentioned that the reason we
want the documents is for the information contained within, not necessarily
the paper it is printed on (that can be debated I'm sure with paper
preservationists), so if we can extract the information exactly as printed,
OCR it, and lift out the images perfectly, then what's the problem?

dr