NYHIST-L Archives

January 2005

From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:21:49 -0500
Thanks to all who responded; I'll forward your suggestions to Cathy. An
earlier off-list reply from James Nevius
http://www.walknyc.com/ :

>>As far as I know, RecorDisc provided recording equipment to GIs in World
>>War II so that could make acetates to send spoken "letters" home. Maybe
>>that's what Cathy already knows, but if not perhaps it could help in her
>>search.

To which Cathy replied:

>>I am looking for this recording company after buying a box of old 78
>>records for my Victrola. All of the records were the usual 10 inch, 78's
>>except one. It was a 7 inch, (I thought a mistaken 45) however it is a
>>78rpm according to the label, with the date and address as I wrote. I
>>have tried Goggle and have a friend (amateur genealogist) looking.

Then, after receiving James's reply:

>>One mystery solved! The record I was telling you about was titled
>>"Caruso" on side one and "Frank Sinatra" on the other. It must have been
>>one a G.I. did and sent home to his family? It is the same person singing
>>acappella.

David

>In a message dated 1/26/05 9:29:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>At one time, the city directories for NYC were available online.
>  If this or any subscriber is familiar with any 20th century city
>directories posted on-line, now or at any time in the past, I would be
>interested to hear from then.&nbsp;&nbsp;   Christopher Gray  Author, "New
>York Streetscapes", published May 2003 by Harry N. Abrams, Inc. Office for
>Metropolitan History 246 West 80th Street, #8, NYC  10024 212-799-0520
> fax -0542 e: [log in to unmask]

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
585 264-0423
'dminor' 'at symbol' 'eznet.net'

To be put on the mailing list for the weekly TimeMaster radio scripts
(WXXI-FM 91.5), as well as a Quote of the Week and a URL of the Week,
e-mail me at the address above.

HOME PAGE
http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 1,100,000,000 BC to 1991 AD.
http://home.eznet.net/~dminor/NYNY.html

Visit the Canal Society of New York State page at http://www.canalsnys.org/

"I would undertake to supply your demands if your generosity is equal to them."
	-John Bartram, U. S. naturalist