NYHIST-L Archives

March 1999

From:
Michael Marceau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:56:12 -0500
Hi, Folks,
        Here in Maryland, I recall two exchanges from the 1950s. One was
GArden 4; the other was POplar 2. I heard (unofficially) that it was
because many people had their own gardens, and that there were lots of
poplar trees around! This may be an urban legend, but to an 8-year-old
having a telephone for the first time, it made sense to me!! I STILL
remember the number: GArden 4-7972.
        Area codes, however, are a TOTALLY different beast!!

Mike Marceau in Taneytown, Maryland

"If you finish listening before I finish talking, please feel free tp
leave; I won't mind at all."
Anonymous - from the keynote speaker at a convention I recently attended