NYHIST-L Archives

September 2002

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:08:43 -0400
All I know is that there is a n historical marker in the vicinity of Columbiaville, NY, for Benjamin Butler, on Route 9.

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/08/02 11:28PM >>>
Does anyone know the author of the supplement portion of the following item, published in 1822:

A letter to the Honorable Brockholst Livingston, esq., one of the justices of the Supreme court of the United States, on the lake canal policy of the state of New-York ... By Robert Troup, esq. With a supplement, and additional documents.

I have some reason to believe that the supplement, which is longer (and considerably more interesting) than the main item, was written by future US Attorney General Benjamin F. Butler (1795-1858); in 1822, he was the Albany law partner of Martin van Buren and a devoted opponent of canal-maker DeWitt Clinton.

Gerard Koeppel
www.gerardkoeppel.com