NYHIST-L Archives

February 2006

From:
David Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 08:29:53 -0500
Afrigeneas has been recommended by an African-American member of our St.
Mary's County [MD] Genealogical Society. She found it quite useful. We
printed a short article on it in our quarterly newsletter a few years ago.

I would also recommend contacting the local historical or genealogical
society in the town or county where your African-American ancestors were
from. You never know the contacts you can make.

I have just recently published about 50/60 years' worth of baptism abstracts
in our newsletter submitted to us by an African-American member living in
Chicago from the records of one of her "ancestral churches." She extracted
material from St. Mary's Chapel, All Faith Parish, Charlotte Hall, MD. This
chapel was set up in the late 19th century for the black Episcopalians in
the parish. It was closed after WWII. She submitted a real "gold mine" of
early 20th century material. This lady is also working with the United
States Colored Troops - USCT- raised in Southern Maryland and we have
printed some material she has submitted on various USCT units. Others have
submitted material on some of the black Methodist churches in our county.

My suggestion is not to overlook local genealogical societies. Many may be
focused only on whites, but those days are changing. You might find a local
society eager to include all people from the area.

David Roberts
Hollywood, MD