NYHIST-L Archives

December 2002

From:
"Travis, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:50:21 -0500
As Jane McRae's death and burial as well as the subsequent Battles of
Saratoga occurred in ALBANY COUNTY, I read the attached with interest.  The
articles I read in our local papers stated that this 97-year old Kansas
woman was a descendent of Jane McRae.  Without commenting on 18th Century
morality, I wonder how this was possible given the fact she was unmarried.

On the question of the exhumation, there is a phrase lawyers use "QUI BONO."
It literally means 'to what good."  In investigations, it refers to who
would benefit from an event.  Who would benefit from disturbing this poor
girl again.  She's been moved three times.  Let her rest in peace.

I know there was an exhumation of the outlaw Jesse James a couple of years
ago.  I thought I saw an article very recently about exhuming one of the
Presidents.  Someone refresh my memory!

                                        JOHN TRAVIS
                                         Albany County Historian