NYHIST-L Archives

December 2002

From:
Linda Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:20:25 +0000
First--
Thanks to all of you who sent suggestions for inclusion in the Hall of Fame.
As I mentioned in the first post,   criteria have not yet been set for
inclusion, but we'll be including all this information in a data base that
will travel as an interactive with the initial exhibition.  It's a wonderful
and diverse list I've received from all of you.

And second,  I think Jim Corsaro has raised an important point and David
Palmquist helpfully explained the goals of the hall.   I wanted to weigh in
on what I know (as a contractor to the organization) about their hopes and
to raise some additional concerns about chartering and the future of
museums.

The Native New Yorkers Hall of Fame was started by a group of Sullivan
County residents who were interested in creating an institution which would
draw visitors to this once-vibrant, now struggling county (like much of
upstate New York).   The establishment of new museums as economic engines is
much in vogue everywhere, including New York State.  I'd say the jury is
still out on whether all of these new museums, founded with economic impact
in mind,  will accomplish that purpose.  Many have begun with overly
optimistic income projections and have struggled to meet them.

As most members of the list probably know,  museums and historical
organizations in New York State are chartered by the Board of Regents.  The
granting of a provisional charter is fairly easy, as witness by the huge
diversity of the more than 1400 organizations in the state holding some sort
of charter.

I agree that virtually every museum and historical society in the state is
struggling financially and that government resources cannot even make a dent
in the need,  but also believe that many of those organizations have
significant work to do to fully engage their communities in their work.
Even with that engagement organizations struggle, without community support
their existence becomes problematic at best.

I think the museum/history field has some serious thinking to do about the
sustainability of organizations and how that is accomplished.  In my own
work with museums and historical societies, I've come to believe that an
effective plan is critical for organizations of all sizes. I'd like to see
more organizations exploring partnership and collaborations in areas of
staffing, collections storage and the like as an effective way of meeting
professional standards and involving their communities. And, by the way,  if
you're from a museum or historical society with a charter and want help with
planning, the Upstate Historical Alliance administers grants for planning
and other museum advancement efforts for the New York State Council on the
Arts.  Check UHA's website, www.upstatehistory.org for more information.

It's an open question about whether the Native New Yorkers Hall of Fame will
succeed, with or without government resources,  but, to their credit, they
have a strategic plan in place and their first step is this traveling
exhibition, designed to reach out statewide to elicit interest and support.
At its potential best, the Hall of Fame could provide a introduction or
gateway to the fine interpretation done by local organizations of many of
the individuals suggested for inclusion,  and that partnerships with other
organizations could help further engage audiences in the history of New
York.

Linda Norris