NYHIST-L Archives

September 2006

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
Walter Greenspan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:13:38 EDT
To add to what David Roberts ([log in to unmask]) added to what I had posted:

On June 15, 1886, when, by Act of the New York State Legislature, the Lloyd's
Neck peninsula is transferred from the Town of Oyster Bay, then in Queens
County to the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County, the offshore riparian rights
remained vested in the Town of Oyster Bay.  So, step off the land in the
northern part of the capital-B shaped Village of Lloyd Neck and you are standing in
the Town of Oyster Bay, now in Nassau County.

For some unexplained reason, the Town of Oyster Bay and the Town of
Huntington, before the counties were created on November 1, 1683, were given the
riparian rights surrounding their areas.  Normally, riparian rights remained with
the sovereign (the English king) as was the case with all other settlements.
Not so apparently in these two cases.

So, the Town of Oyster Bay and the City of Glen Cove (Glen Cove had been part
of the Town of Oyster Bay and, when it seceded in 1918, it took its riparian
rights with it) in Nassau County and the Town of Huntington in Suffolk County
are the only municipalities that have riparian rights.  I've been told that
this does not sit well with the Secretary of State of New York State, but
there's nothing that can be done ...

I hope this information is useful or, at least, interesting.

L'Shannah Tovah* & Happy 5767,

Walter Greenspan
Great Falls, MT & Jericho, NY

* L'Shannah Tovah (li-SHAH-nuh TOH-vuh; li-shah-NAH toh-VAH)
Hebrew. Lit. for a good year. The common greeting during Rosh ha Shannah and
the Days of Awe. This is a shortening of "L'Shannah tovah tikatev v'taihatem"
(or, to women, "L'Shannah tovah tikatevi v'taihatemi"), which means, "May you
be inscribed and sealed for a good year." This year, Rosh ha Shannah, because
it will occur on Shabbat (Sabbath), begins 18 minutes before sunset on Friday,
September 22 on the civil calendar.