NYHIST-L Archives

January 2002

From:
George Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:12:53 -0500
I have in my notes a few references from newspapers of the early 1830s
to protests against the use in NYC buildings of stone cut by the
convicts at Singsing.  Joel Headley's book on the great riots of NYC,
first published in the 1870s, I believe, and reprinted several times in
recent years, says that there was a riot at the construction site of
the original NYU building on the east side of Washington Sq. Park that
required calling out the militia.  I have not yet found a reference to
this event in the newspapers of the day.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.