NYHIST-L Archives

December 2002

From:
James Corsaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:37:53 -0500
Thanks to Linda for more explanation about the goals of this new museum. It
would appear to be an economic initiative for Sullivan County, which has had
economic problems as a rural county for many years. Of course, the county
fathers/mothers might have considered providing funding for upgrading the
mission plans, strategies and programs of some of the historical societies
already in the county. Doing that would help the documentation of the
history of Sullivan County and play upon the strengths of the county. A Hall
of Fame may or may not succeed as an economic initiative and I send best
wishes to them on that ground. However, its success as an educational
enterprise for the adults and children of Sullivan County and for the people
of the state is not quite so certain.

My other objection is to Halls of Fame in general. They are almost uniformly
boring places (the only exception being the Baseball Hall of Fame and even
there the hall of plaques is really boring and certainly not as interesting
to lovers of baseball as the rest of the museum's collections) and do not
provide the kind of in-depth material that makes for meaningful educational
programs for children. What they do is to provide "facts" about famous
people's lives. Facts, I might note, that are easily available to kids and
others in the standard histories, reference books or on Internet sites. The
other problem, of course, is the selection criteria; my choices for great
Native New Yorkers, may not be yours (for instance, there are almost no
musicians listed thus far on this listserv and Native New York musicians are
numberless and very important (e.g. Copland, Bernstein, Rollins, and so
forth) and the result is quite often controversy (note the Pete Rose scandal
and the Baseball Hall of Fame). Criteria can be set, but there will always
be those whose favorites will not make it to the list and they will be
unhappy. Lastly, historians for the past half century or so have made great
progress in documenting the anonymous parts of society as well as the
institutions, and other not-so-famous parts of our communities. There has
also been considerable progress made in recent years in documenting the
history of immigration, ethnicity and new populations in the United States,
particularly Latino and some Asian populations. Halls of Fame certainly do
not fit those categories of historical research and programs.

So, all the best to the Native New Yorkers Hall of Fame. I certainly hope
that it provides a basis for jobs and economic growth to Sullivan County.

Jim Corsaro