NYHIST-L Archives

September 1999

From:
Michael Fein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:26:01 -0400
Linda,

Try looking at Peter Way's book _Common Labour:  Workers and the Digging of
North American Canals, 1780-1860_.  He's pretty left, and might offer up
some clues in this area. I remember a particularly disturbing passage in
which he describes the blasting of rock--the canalers would raise their
shovels over their heads to protect them from the scattered debris--which
worked fine except in cases where big boulders flew loose, and they were
crushed.  Not the life for nervous academic types, I suppose.

Mike

Michael R. Fein
Research Associate
Harvard Business School