NYHIST-L Archives

March 2000

Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 07:39:12 -0500
BIG DETOUR IN ALBANY, NY NEAR EMPIRE PLAZA
BEGINNING 01 APR 2000 -04 JUL 2000

If you think the problem of driving in Albany near the Empire Plaza
couldn't get worse, IT WILL effective 01 Apr 2000.  Please post to
genealogy lists to help people avoid the problems in trying to get
to the NYS Library, Archives, Museum, Albany Co. Hall of Records
and any other place in downtown Albany.  This involves the EXIT
RAMP COMING OUT OF THE UNDERGROUND PARKING AREA
of EMPIRE PLAZA to RT I-787 NORTH AND SOUTH.

To accommodate the additional traffic anticipated (from soon-to-open
new parking ramps) to access I-787, certain portions of the current
ramps must be widened.  The DOT is constructing a project that
is running concurrently with the Offices of General Services' garage
construction so that work on the ramp widening project will conclude
on or about 01 AUG 2000.

It will be necessary to CLOSE the ramp from the garage exit that
leads to I-787 NORTH and SOUTHBOUND.  The ramp will be
closed for a maximum of 90 days.  During this time, all the
remaining work that affects traffic will be completed. It is expected
that work will begin on 01 Apr 2000 and will be completed prior
to 04 Jul weekend.

To ensure safe lane changes to and from the underground garages,
new overhead signs will be placed. Motorist traveling through the
Mall or exiting the Empire State Plaza north and south (underground)
parking facilities will encounter a divided roadway after leaving the
Plaza tunnels.

As you exit, YOU WILL NOT be able to take the usual ramp which
takes you directly to I-787 north and south.  Signs will take you on a
2 (two) mile route which will take you out over I-787 (below you)
and ACROSS THE HUDSON RIVER.  On the other side of the
river, you will do a right loop, turn right, go a short distance straight
ahead, take a right and COME BACK ACROSS THE HUDSON
RIVER. As you return to the Albany side of the Hudson River, THEN
you may TAKE RT I-787 North or South. This is an expected 4 (four)
minute additional time DURING NON-PEAK HOURS.

TO AVOID THIS DETOUR.  It is suggested if leaving the NYS Library,
Archives, Museum, Albany Co. Hall of Records -  Take Madison Ave
(the street that runs in front of the Museum) downhill and when you
are at the bottom, take the road to the right that directs you to I-787.
(You will be driving under the raised roads of I-787).
To go NORTH on I-787 - From the bottom of Madison Ave, it curves
to the right and then to the left (stay in the left lane).  At the light
*,
you will turn left and stay to the left going up the ramp to join the
Northbound I-787 traffic.  * At this light, you will be looking at the
Hudson River (USS SLater and Dutch Apple Boat are right there).

If you are familiar with downtown Albany, you may enter I-787 from
the ramp entrance near Fleet Bank.  This ramp will be open as
usual.

A great idea to avoid the traffic and parking problems at any time
(year round) near the Museum and Capital area is to check out
the locations, especially from Malls, that you could take a CDTA
bus in to Madison Ave.  There are commuter bus services from
all surrounding counties also.  These opportunities should be
considered in booking motel accommodations in the areas
outside of downtown Albany which are often considerably
lower in price.

For further information call:
Wendy Gibson - Information officer of the Office of General
Services 518-474-5987 or
Tim Conway, Department of Transportation at 518-474-6285.
Tune into AM 830 on our radio for project information.