NYHIST-L Archives

February 2003

From:
Greg Furness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:07:01 -0500

>Date:    Sat, 1 Feb 2003 23:34:24 -0500
>From:    Lester Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: AOUW and OUAM lodges
>
>Dear History List:
>Late 19th-century Cohoes city directories list a Cohoes City Lodge, A.O.U.W.
>and an Abraham Lincoln Council, No.7, O.U.A.M, under miscellaneous
>non-Masonic lodges, along with a G.A.R. post. Does anyone know what
>organizations the AOUW and OUAM may be, or of a reference list of the
>extinct 19th century lodges and fraternal organizations? If there is no such
>list, we could start compiling one as a group effort.
>
>Lester Hendrix, Editor,
>Schoharie County Historical Review

A "Google" search turns up dozens of references to both the Ancient Order
of United Workmen and the  Order of United Anmerican Mechanics. The latter
was a Nativist Masonic offshoot.
Try:
http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/fraternalism/jr_aoum.htm
http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/fraternalism/aouw.htm