NYHIST-L Archives

April 1999

Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:24:46 EDT
We have at least four limestone bridges in the Town of Fairfield, two of them
currently in use.  I am interested in learning more about stone arch bridge
construction.  What were the techniques involved, when were they popular, who
were some well known builders, etc.  The town would like to apply for
historic register status.  It would help if we knew if these bridges were
somewhat unique or examples of a lost art.  I would appreciate any help in
pointing me in the right direction for researching this type of bridge.
Jane Dieffenbacher
Fairfield Town Historian