NYHIST-L Archives

September 1999

From:
Madelyn Lovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:24:55 -0400
This query is being posted to a number of H-Net lists.  Please excuse any
duplication.

I am a doctoral student in the preliminary stages of developing a
dissertation topic dealing with urban political machines and the woman
suffrage movement, primarily Tammany Hall, during the final decades of the
suffrage movement.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, especially
relevant archival sources and information on complementary or similar
projects.

To date, my research has included Catt and Shuler's Woman Suffrage and
Politics, various publications of the NAWSA, articles from the New York
Times and popular magazines, and Harriot Stanton Blatch's Challenging
Years; biographies on Catt, Blatch, and Tammany leaders Charles Murphy and
Al Smith; Flexner's Century of Struggle, selected volumes of Ida Husted
Harper's History of Woman Suffrage, and the more recent works on woman
suffrage by Sara Graham and Suzanne Marilley.  Additionally, I have looked
at the works of John Allswang, John Buenker, and Robert Wessner on urban
political machines and New York politics.  In the near future, I plan to
research the papers of Catt, NAWSA, New York Woman Suffrage Party, and the
Kilroe Collection on Tammany Hall at Columbia University.

Thanks in advance,
Madelyn Lovell
Syracuse University