NYHIST-L Archives

July 2006

From:
Gale Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:51:04 -0700
According to Holden's Staten Island, revised and
editted by Dick Dickenson in 2002(originally the
Resource Manual for Schools and Community), p. 98.
New Brighton, Edgewater and Port Richmond became
incorporated villages in 1866 followed by Tottenville
in 1869.  Edgewater was comprised of Tompkinsville,
Stapleton, and Clifton.  Richmond aka Richmond Town or
Richmondtown was part of the township of Southfield
Richmond wasthe county seat from the 18th century
until the beginning of the 20th century.  Borough Hall
was completed in 1906 but some county offices remained
at Richmond until 1919.  Most old town and village
records are in the Municipal Archives at 31 Chambers
Street or stored in their Brooklyn warehouse.  The
historical society at Historic Richmond Town also has
significant holdings of Borough and Village records.
I usually check both places to be on the safe side.
Gale Harris, Landmarks Preservation Commission, NYC