NYHIST-L Archives

January 2006

From:
Sal Cilella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:56:35 -0500
Greetings:  I am writing a history of the 121st New York State Volunteer
Regiment from Herkimer and Otsego counties and am heavily involved in
this very issue.  Battlefield deaths were often reported in the local
papers via reports from commanders or subalterns directly to the
newspaper.  Also battlefield deaths were reported via letter to the
parents from the commander in the field directly and then were published
in the local papers.

In one case, a member of the 121st was given the duty by the local paper
to send back reports of the doings of the regiment. When he was killed
at Salem Church, the headline ran the very serious message: "Fred's
Dead."  Humorous today, not yesterday.

Deaths by disease were often telegraphed by the deceased's illness--a
parent was usually dispatched to the loved one's bedside in the hospital
and saw them through "to the other side" and then accompanied the body
back home. Some brought them home deathly ill and they died at home.  No
telegrams.

Salvatore G. Cilella, Jr.
President and CEO
Indiana Historical Society