NYHIST-L Archives

September 1999

From:
Emily Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:29:57 +0100
>to whom it may concern,
>Heloo, my name is Brooke. I am a sophmore in high school  at Salt Lake
>Christian Academy in Utah. I am taking a class called U.S. history and I
>have been assigned to do a report on New York history. The section that I am
>working on right now is the history from the time periods from the
>1700-1800s.  The colonial life before the revolutionary war.  Later I will
>be working on 1801-1825. I have been looking on the internet alot, but I
>have only found one sight http://www.nuwebny.com/nyhist.htm
>It wasn't huge help because I need more specific information from thses time
>periods.  If you could please help me or atleast point me the right
>direction, I would be very greatful. Thank you.
>
>God bless,
>Brooke

Brooke:

If it's New York City you are focusing on, two general references are WONDERFUL.

        Gotham by Burrows and Wallace

        The Encyclopedia of NY City.

Browse through them. Full of material that may help you focus your research
(which, if you will forgive an old lady for saying so, seems to be all over
the lot. Were I you, I'd pick one topic -- schools, transportation,
housing, how government worked -- and contrast it with the way things are
today.It's a lot more fun to research one area than to try to make 'the
history of New York' interesting.)

Best of luck. If you need more help, write back

Emily Leonard