NYHIST-L Archives

January 2001

From:
Ruth Piwonka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 19:58:26 -0500
Phil Lord wrote:

> I am searching for the defining characteristics that would
differentiate millstones used in the late 17th century from those used
in the late 18th century and later, in New York State, in the Hudson
Valley. Perhaps there are none?
** See William Smith's *History of New York*  "Appendix, Chapter 1"
under the heading 'Ulster County'.  (This is in Vol 1, p267 of The
New-York Historical Society 1829 edition.  Smith wrote of the colonial
era up to 1762.  He gives some clues with respect to millstones.

He writes:  "This county is most noted for fine flour, beer, and a
good breed of draught horse.  At the commencement of the range of the
Apalachian hill, about ten miles from Hudson's river, is an
enexhaustible quarry of millstones, which far exceed those from Colen
in Europe, formerly imported here, and sold at £80 a pair.  The
Marbletown millstones cost not a fourth part of that sum."

I feel that somewhere I have references to the fact that this supply
of mill stone did run out ....  I also know (but would have to look in
old notes) that at least one pair of French burr stones were imported
to Claverack, Columbia County in the early nineteenth century -- or
perhaps before then.  These may still exist as a door stoop.

Stone in Ulster County / Esopus area was also described by vander
Donck as marble / alabaster-like.  One feels like he must have been
referring to the Marbletown area.  Either there *was* a superior type
of stone that was long ago all worked out -- OR perhaps there is some
still present.  There are distinctive limestones visible along NY Rt
209 in Marbletown.

I really think you need a geologist who will tour Ulster Couty with
you and also visit old millstones with you for better insight about
their different qualities.

Ruth Piwonka