NYHIST-L Archives

December 1998

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:04:26 -0500
There is a list of ferries operating in New York Harbor in The Encyclopedia
of New York City (under ferries), Kenneth T. Jackson, ed. (Yale University
Press/New-York Historical Society, 1995) It does not, however distinguish
between passenger and rail ferries. A note at the bottom of the chart
attributes it to: Cudahy, Brian J. - Over and Back: The History of
Ferryboats in New York Harbor (Fordham University Press, 1990). Should be a
good place to start.

David Minor

>This message came in to our website. Perhaps someone on the list can
>supply the answer.

>Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 20:51:17 -0500
>Subject: Raiway Barges Hudson River
>From: Don Grove <[log in to unmask]>
>To: New York State Museum <[log in to unmask]>
>
>December 12, 1998
>

>New York State Museum
>
>Dear Sir or Madam
>
>I would like to know where I can find information and
>pictures of the railway barges, or ferries, that moved rail
>cars across the Hudson River at New York City, in the l946.
>
>When I was sixteen years old, I worked for my Father at
>several race tracks in the USA.
>In the fall of l946, we moved our horses by passenger rail
>car, from Pawtucket, Rhode Island to Charles Town, West
>Virginia.  I believe it was on the New York Central Railway.
>
>When horses were traveling by rail car, there had to be
>someone with them for feed and water.  On this trip there
>were three of us traveling in the horse car with the horses.
>
>I am not sure of the time we left Rhode Island, but we
>traveled by railway barge across what I believe was the
>Hudson River at New York City.  I remember waking up at
>dawn, just as the sun was coming up and seeing the Statue of
>Liberty in the early morning light.  What a sight.
>
>I have been writing my history for my Grandchildren and
>would like some information, or a picture, of the rail car
>barges, or ferries, that crossed the river at New York City.
> Do you know where I can get such information.
>
>I would appreciate hearing from you.
>
>Don Grove                       (905)  945-5203
>36 Lakeview Avenue
>Grimsby,  Ontario
>L3M 3M2                 email  <[log in to unmask]>
>

>Attachment converted: Hard Disk 1042:Part.001 (TEXT/ttxt) (00025A2E)

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Rochester, New York
716 264-0423