From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 12:02:36 -0400
Dear Karen and Steve:
Bringing bagels to Prague seems quite ironic since my understanding is
that bagels were invented in the last century in eastern Europe (Poland?).
For both pictures and background information, you might want to obtain a
copy of a feature article published a couple of years ago in the Montreal
Gazette. While I reside in New York state, I am only about an hour from
Montreal and the best bagels in North America (sorry NYC). Having never
tasted your bagels, I won't make any claim beyond that. Good luck with
your enterprise.
Wayne

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Kim Harris Myers wrote:

> >Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 17:39:24 +0200
> >From: Karen LaMonte & Steve Polaner <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: New York & Help with bagels
> >
> >HI.  I don't know if you are the right person to ask, but, my wife and I
> >are New Yorkers, and like all good New Yorkers it seems, we are opening
> >a bagel business.  We have moved to Prague, in the Czech Republic, and
> >will hopefully be making bagels in a couple weeks.
> >
> >One big problem we have, though, is that Czechs don't know what a bagel
> >is.  So, we are putting together a pamphlet to educate them, but we
> >don't have access to any photos to put in it.  Do you have or know where
> >we can get photos of bagels in old NYC, maybe 1900-1940, or even just
> >good old NY street vending scenes.  One specific photo we are looking
> >for is of the Bagel Bakers Local #338.  We know they exisited, but don't
> >know if there are photos of them.
> >
> >Can you help?
> >
> >Thank you very much,
> >
> >Steve Polaner & Karen LaMonte
> >

> >--
> >PS: These are all the ways to get in touch with us:
> >
> >Zlatnická 5                Tel:    +42 (02) 231-4547
> >110 00 Praha 1             Fax:    +42 (02) 2481-2420
> >Czech Republic             Mobile: +42 (0603) 438-123
> >

> Kim Harris Myers
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~nygenweb NYGenweb Coordinator
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~nycattar Cattaraugus Co, NY
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~idlemhi Lemhi Co, Idaho

Wayne L. Miller				Special Collections Librarian
Feinberg Library			2 Draper Avenue
518-564-5206				Plattsburgh, NY 12901
[log in to unmask]      or		[log in to unmask]
	"I wonder what will happen today!"  -Maggie Muggins-
"Not even God can change history...which is why he tolerates historians."
					-Voltaire