NYHIST-L Archives

April 2003

From:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:59:33 -0400

The event will celebrate the history of the city and its neighborhoods, and
encourage young preservationists to nourish this legacy for generations to
come. From tours of the First Church of Albany and Albany Pump Station to
advice on how to preserve family heirlooms, the History Fair will help
participants explore the history that's woven through the people, places and
things that we see and do every day.

"Even in our fast-paced, dot-com world - the recipes we download, the
pictures we take, the choices we make - we're making history right now,"
said Liselle LaFrance, director of Historic Cherry Hill, which boasts some
20,000 objects from the everyday life of the house's residents. "Five
generations of one family lived at Cherry Hill from the Revolutionary period
to after World War II. The house, and its family, are a window through which
we can look back on our city and its people. It may be one family's history,
but it's also an amazingly intact illustration of our city's historic
legacy."

The History Fair will take place rain or shine, is free and open to the
public and will feature historical exhibits and demonstrations, music,
walking tours and activities for the entire family.

New this year is the presentation of Sense of Place awards. Albany
neighborhood associations and community groups have nominated the most
historically significant events, structures, or people in their
neighborhoods. Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges, and awards
will be made at the Fair to the top three entries.

According to Kathy Quandt, Director of Operations at the Visitors Center,
finding out what gives Albany's citizens a sense of place is key to
preserving our history for future generations. "From artifacts under our
feet to historic buildings over our heads, from events that took place
centuries ago to decisions we'll make next week, our history connects us to
the past and contributes to our vital community. In Albany, history is all
around us - the Albany History Fair helps us come together to celebrate it."

Contact Liselle Lafrance at Historic Cherry Hill
(518-434-4791) if you have questions about the event.