NYHIST-L Archives

May 2007

From:
Paul Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 10:08:09 -0400
That is an interesting topic! There is a story in Wilbur Siebert's "The
Underground Railroad: From Slavery To Freedom" (1898) of a Mr. Leonard
who lived in Albany and was converted to abolitionism. So he moved from
Albany to Chattanooga and put maps on the walls of a store he opened
there and found reasons to discuss the maps with enslaved people that
came in to his store on errands from slave-holders. I always thought
that was strange but if this was a common practice to put up maps in
public buildings it was not so odd and would not have been questioned.

Paul Stewart Albany, NY