From:
Andrew Mace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:16:42 -0400
>>> [log in to unmask] 06/21/00 11:36AM  wrote:
I seem to recall seeing a meeting notice in a local Rensselaer County newspaper - the Sand Lake Advertiser - perhaps 20 years ago for the Anti-horseTheft Committee, which (as I understood it) was a modern civic club derved from the mid-19th century organization in the area.<<<

The Sand Lake Association for the Mutual Protection Against Horse Thieves was incorporated by an act of the Legislature of New York on
April 7, 1849. It does still exist, and members meet annually on a social basis.  Further information at <http://hometown.aol.com/sandlakehistory/horses.html>

--Andrew Mace, New York State Library (also member of the "Association" and webmaster for the Sand Lake Historical Society)