NYHIST-L Archives

December 1997

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:58:20 -0500
I am looking for a 19th century engraving or other pre-1900 image of a
hay rick. The verbal description indicates the typical Mohawk Valley
construction; four posts set in the ground with holes at various intervals
near the tops for pegs to be inserted; a movable roof that could be
lowered as the hay was used, resting on these pegs. These are often
shown in the background of period paintings, often dimly in the
shadows, and appear to have had for the most part roofs that were
more or less conical; actually made of four flat planes running to a point.

I am looking for a clean, clear graphic of one of these, and I swear I have
seen one [and not the one in Eric Sloane's book]. Has anyone come
across such an image?
Phil Lord
Historical Survey
New York State Museum