NYHIST-L Archives

May 2002

From:
Walter Greenspan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 17:53:24 EDT
On 5/28/02 (5:19:45 PM EDT), an eMail from Lester Hendrix
([log in to unmask]) was posted, as:

"New York also had Tryon and Charlotte counties, from 1772 to 1784. The last
counties formed by the colonial government, they were named for then-governor
Tryon and Charlotte, queen consort to George. After the revolution they were
renamed for patriot generals Mongtomery (Tryon) and Washington (Charlotte)
and were chopped up into smaller counties. Tryon, seated at Johnstown,
encompassed all of western New York excepting the Indian lands and Charlotte
all of north eastern New York, some of which was transferred to Vermont.  So
the count is 68 for the time span given."

Thank you.  However, I don't think a change in names truly represents a new
or different county.  Hence, my count was (and remains) that New York State
since November 1, 1683, has had 66 counties.  (I show the name changes in the
footnotes to the table I included in my previous eMail oif May 21 on this
subject.)

Walter Greenspan