NYHIST-L Archives

October 2000

From:
Vicki Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:36:43 -0400
If you haven't done an RLIN search yet, go to http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/rlinamc.html and click on the Advanced Search Form. A keyword search in the NYS Library catalog will bring up the RLIN records in that catalog. (There will be some duplication in the records listed at the LC site and NYSL catalog). Any record with HDI as the location code is an RLIN record. To see who owns the collection, scroll down to the bottom of the record.

Another possible source of programs is the OCLC catalog. Any large library will have access to OCLC but you may have to pay a fee for the search.

You also could look at current phone directories to identify conservation/hunting organizations. They may have minutes or records they've saved that mention participating in such shows. Looking in city/phone directories for the 1890s through the 1930s will give you the names of organizations that existed back then, providing you with keywords you can use in your RLIN and OCLC searches.

When you've identified expos and the dates they were held, a look through the newspapers a few days before, the days of and a day or two after may offer information. The New York State Library has a massive microfilmed newspaper collection and you can borrow the reels of microfilm to be used at your local library. For more information, go to the New York State Newspaper Project's Web page at www.nysl.nysed.gov/nysnp

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/13/00 04:08PM >>>
Hello.

I'm posting this request for assistance at the suggestion of Bill Evans at
the NY State Archives.

I'm currently engaged in a research project on the subject of hunting and
conservation expositions in New York City or state during the period
1890-1930.  The annual Sportsmans Show in Madison Square Garden comes to
mind, but there are probably others.

My ultimate goal is to trace the use of wildlife paintings by various US
government agencies (e.g., the USDA Bureau of Biological Survey) to
illustrate themes of hunting history, the extermination of the American
bison, and wildlife conservation in general.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows where I might find catalogs,
programs, reports, photographic or other archives of such hunting, sportsman
or conservation shows/events in NY (city or state).  [NB:  I've already
checked the National Archives, Library of Congress and Smithsonian in
Washington.]

Regards,

Dr. Reed A. Augliere
781 529 1048