NYHIST-L Archives

March 2002

From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:57:49 -0500
Greetings,

Received the following request for information. Any suggestions? You can
reply either to me or the list.

Thanks,
David Minor

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hurricane Research

Dear David Minor,
        My name is Elyse Scileppi and I am a student at Brown University.
I am currently working on a thesis project with Dr. Jeffrey Donnelly of
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.  Sediment cores were collected from the
Hick&#8217;s Beach salt marsh in Long Island, NY.  I am studying the cores
to determine a history of major hurricane occurrences for this region,
recorded in the sediment stratigraphy as sand overwash deposits.  In order
to complete this task I am in need of some historical information.  I am
looking for the best estimate of the 1893 hurricane storm surge for the
area.  In addition, I am trying to determine the most appropriate date for
the clearance of salt marsh vegetation by European settlers for that area.
If you have any information regarding either of these questions it would be
very much appreciated.  If not, would you have any suggestions of whom I
might contact to find these answers?  I appreciate you help and I look
forward to hearing from you.
                Sincerely,
                        Elyse Scileppi
                        (401) 751-5873

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
585 264-0423
co-Webmaster for Canal Society of New York State page at
http://www.canalsnys.org/

To be put on the mailing list for the weekly TimeMaster radio scripts
(WXXI-FM 91.5), as well as news of updates to my homepage and a URL of the
week, e-mail me at the address above.

http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 1,100,000,000 BC to 1990 AD.

"I would undertake to supply your demands if your generosity is equal to them."
        -John Bartram, U. S. naturalist