NYHIST-L Archives

October 2000

From:
Geri Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:41:04 -0400
Following the discussion about brittle newspaper articles, I have 2
scrapbooks of newspaper articles and photographs from World War II
era, particularly regarding Hitler's campaign in Poland, that my
mother collected. Some of the pieces seem like things to preserve...a
wanted Poster for Hitler that apparently was circulated in New York
City at the time, the headlines when Pearl Harbor was attacked, FDR's
death, etc. I would like to get some of these items laminated if
people believe that this will stop the deterioration. But the
laminating machines I've seen in stores (I thought of doing it
myself) just aren't big enough to accommodate the size of these scrap
book pages, or the newspaper pages themselves.

Does anyone know where I might get the pages laminated?

Is there any argument against laminating? An alternative preservation method?

Does anyone know who else might want the other pages for displays,
collections, etc.?

Thanks,
Geri Wagner
--
Geri Wagner
Technicrafts

* For International Travel Arrangements: http://www.interworldtravel.com
** For TRAVEL BOOKS: http://books_a_go_go.vstorebooks.com
***Protect Your Investment! Buy the Best Travel Insurance Around: go
to http://www.interworldtravel.com and click on the link!
****New! Get Outfitted for Your Next Trip! http://well_traveled.vstorehome.com

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers
exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will
instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more
bizarre and inexplicable.  There is another theory which states
that this has already happened."
--Douglas Adams