NYHIST-L Archives

August 1997

From:
Karen Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 09:01:37 -0400
SkyBirdy:
Did you get an answer to your question yet?  I didn't see one
posted to the list; so here goes:

NYSED (New York State Education Dept) consists of six major
program areas.  One of these is the Office of Cultural Education
(OCE). OCE consists of the State Archives, the State Library and
the State Museum.  There may be some other offices as well, but I
believe these are the major pieces.

The other five areas of NYSED consist of
VESID (Vocational Educational Services for Individuals with
Disabilities),

Office of Higher Education (not to be confused with HESC (Higher
Educational Services Corp) who handle TAP awards.  They are
NOT a part of the Education Dept), OHE handles (re) certification
of teachers as part of their work, as well as program curricula, I
believe.

EMSC (Elementary, Middle, Secondary and Continuing
Education), self-explanatory??

Office of the Professions (They test, check qualifications, recertify
individuals in 38 professions; for instance nurses, chiropractors,
pharmacists, etc)

and last but not least, where I work is known as the
 Office of Management Services (OMS), the central administration of
the Dept. (HR, Payroll, Bldg Maintenance, and ITS (Information
Technology Services) etc.   )

This is probably more than you were looking for, but outlines the
entire Dept for you.   (If I've omitted any particular area and
offended anyone on this list, I apologize.  It was not intentional.
Any corrections?)  kc.