NYHIST-L Archives

February 2002

From:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:04:13 -0500
1777 Constitution: "That the election of Senators shall be after this
manner; that so much of this State as is now parcelled into counties, be
divided into four great districts; the southern district to comprehend the
city and county of New-York, Suffolk, Westchester, Kings, Queens and
Richmond counties; the middle district to comprehend the counties of
Dutchess, Ulster and Orange; the western district the city and county of
Albany, and Tryon county; and the eastern district, the counties of
Charlotte, Cumberland and Gloucester. That the Senators shall be elected by
the freeholders of the said districts, qualified as aforesaid, in the
proportions following, to wit, in the southern district nine, in the middle
district six, in the western district six, and in the eastern district
three."

New arrangements of senatorial districts were made February 7, 1791 (loss of
the eastern district to the "pretended state of Vermont," as they used to
say); March 4, 1796; and April 17, 1815.

Check the session laws of those dates.