NYHIST-L Archives

October 2005

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:27:07 -0400
I believe Captain Schuyler's boats were steam propellor-driven tugs. Howell and Tenney's 1886 Bicentennial History of Albany discusses him.

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/21/05 9:33 AM >>>
Paul.

 Look for Samuel Schuyler. A black man, he had a line of boats on the Hudson in that era.  He owned the "other Schuyler Mansion."  Its the building at the northwest corner of Trinity and Ash Grove Place in the South End of Albany with the distinctive cupula on the roof.
Interestingly, in succeeding generations he/the family become mulatto and then white in the censuses.
John N. Travis
Albany County Historian/
Real Property Investigator
112 State St, Albany NY 12207