NYHIST-L Archives

March 2003

From:
Douglas Treado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:18:19 -0500
There are many factors in regard to copyright and ownership.  Example: some
19th century newspaper companies are no longer in existence.  Many of these
older newspapers are in the public domain--(and in the attics or basements
of individuals and historical societies which kept them).
On the other hand, there are present newspaper companies who have
historically owned the copyright--even though the title of the newspaper has
changed over the years...
So, there is no easy answer to this question.  Nonetheless, preservation
35mm microfilming of older newsprint is so important to preserving this
information--before it's lost.  (Also, the same for City/County
Directories.)
We have done many of these projects--and have seen the brittle, yellowing
pages from several counties around NY State and elsewhere (1840's-present).
The copyright question is easily handled--just a matter of checking with the
original place where these newspapers were printed.
As far as the microfilming vendor claiming copyright, this would be a rare
happening...(UMI has made contracts with historical newspaper holdings which
has permitted them to sell copies, I'm sure...)
And then there are individuals who have purchased long runs of older
newspapers and actually sell the original pages to buyers...one I believe to
be in Pennsylvania.  Then of course there is the saga of Mr. Nicholson
Baker, the "anti-microfilming, store the originals" guy--One wonders what
will become of those newspapers he has stored somewhere in New England...!
So, again, there are several variables to pursue in regard to ownership...

P.S. We would be happy to assist anyone who needs preservation microfilming
done properly....

Best wishes to the list,

Douglas Scott Treado, MA
Project & Sales Manager
Challenge Industries Microfilm (Nonprofit)
402 East State Street
Ithaca, New York 14850
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Telephone: (607) 272-8990