NYHIST-L Archives

January 2003

From:
"Paul R. Mitchell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:00:34 -0500
I received the following two responses to my posting on the
Seaways Ship Modeling mailing list:

Paul
---
Paul R. Mitchell
New Rochelle, NY

-------------------

'During periods of English rule, from which English port in the
17th century did most/all ships sail for Manhattan? Liverpool?
London? Other?'

Bristol was a major port too. If you mean military, the main
naval base was Portsmouth. Liverpool was on the 'slave triangle'
I believe.

This page gives the arrivals of  ships to the US from 1400 on ...
go here:
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/year.shtml

Click on the year and see the place of departure and etc. ....
Liverpool seems to be a popular place for departing ships those
days ... (disclaimer) ... At least according to the genealogy
sites ...