NYHIST-L Archives

April 1996

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
Bill Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 02 Apr 1996 12:33:44 -0400

1997 LARRY J. HACKMAN RESEARCH RESIDENCY PROGRAM -- Deadline
September 30, 1996

The New York State Archives and the Archives Partnership Trust
announce the availability of awards for qualified applicants
(those working on doctoral dissertations or at the postdoctoral
level are particularly encouraged to apply, but any advanced
research will be considered) to pursue research (advanced work in
New York State history, government or public policy) using the
holdings of the New York State Archives.   Projects involving
alternative uses of the Archives, such as background research for
multimedia projects, exhibits, documentaries, and historical
novels, are also eligible.  The topic or area of study must draw,
at least in part, on the holdings of the New York State Archives.
Preference will be given to projects:  (1) that have application
to enduring public policy issues, particularly in New York State,
(2) that rely on holdings that have been little used and are not
available electronically or on microfilm, and (3) that have a
high probability of publication or other public dissemination.

A total of $15,000 will be available beginning in February 1997
for research to be carried out during 1997.  Awards of $6,000
each will be made for in-depth research over a substantial period
of time, and awards of $1,500 each will be made for shorter
research visits.  The awards are intended to defray costs of
travel, living expenses, and other research-related expenses.

Complete program announcement and application forms are
available:
-via gopher at:  gopher.sara.nysed.gov
-via the WWW at:  http://www.sara.nysed.gov
(found  under  Whats New at SARA)
or from:  Jill A. Rydberg, Archives Partnership Trust, Cultural
Education Center, Room 9C49, Albany, New York 12230; phone:
518-473-7091; fax:  518-473-7058; e-mail: