NYHIST-L Archives

July 1998

From:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Knoblauch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 21:46:30 -0400
Dear Dr. Davis,

We know that no 'personal liberty' laws were in effect in NYS prior to the
Civil War, and, as you suggest, slave-holders often brought their 'servants'
with them when they went to New York City on business or to resorts such as
Saratoga Springs (which was one of the most popular northern resorts for
slave-holders from the South). However, their were no resorts in Montgomery
County (north of the Mohawk River, west of Schenectady, with 26 slaves in
1830) that I am aware of, and no slaves were counted in Saratoga County.

It seems that the 1830 and 1840 Federal censuses were enumerating enslaved
people who were resident in NYS, not sojourners. I think it would be
necessary to review the manuscript censuses to get to the root of the
matter, a project that I'd recommend to any student who finds the question
interesting. Who held slaves in NYS after 1827, what was the legal
rationale, and what was the eventual fate of these 75 people?

Thank goodness the census used 'actual enumeration' instead of statistical
projections, otherwise we would never know of these people.

Edward Knoblauch