NYHIST-L Archives

August 1997

Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:07:57 +0000
I am looking for orphanage records in NY State and elsewhere,
particularly for institutions that closed.  I have already read those
of the Thomas Indian School, the Colored Orphan Asylum, the Howard
Colored Orphan Asylum, the Home for Destitute Children of Seamen,
the Brooklyn Orphan Asylum, and the Children's Aid Society Shelter,
Windsor Ontario.

Can anyone tell me the location of other records, and how I can get
to read them?  I would also like to know more about the Ladies'
Deborah aslylum, which, I believe, was closed in about 1914, and St.
Peter's School, which was closed in the late 1970s or early 1980s..

I am an about-to-be retired professor, and would like to do a book on
why children's institutions closed.  I am not particular about dates,
but would like material up to and including the 1980s.  I did a
previous article on the history of orphanages, which appeared in a
special issue of Child Welfare.

I would also welcome discussion from any other child and social welfare history
buffs.  Are there any out there?

Thanks,

Eve P. Smith, DSW