NYHIST-L Archives

December 1999

From:
"John T. Reilly" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:31:42 -0500
Over the past several years PBS has aired several programs by Ken and Rick
Burns, I for one have found these to be seriously flawed.  Take BASEBALL  and
THE WEST for example. With NEW YORK , this has happened again.  I will not try
and summarize the criticisms, beginning with the NEW YORK TIMES review of
November, however, I feel as professional historians we should speak out
forcefully on what has happened.  Perhaps a letter writing campaign to PBS might
be the answer.  I do not want to appear as someone against free speech,
however, PBS can do a better job in  sponsoring programs by these
producer/directors  to address the criticisms from the profession.

John T. Reilly