NYHIST-L Archives

February 1998

From:
Richard Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:19:44 -0500
Phil Lord,
    Would you be interested in being included in my e-mailings of Lake
Ontario maritime-related items I have been copying from newspapers at
Oswego and other places, dating back before the War of 1812?
     On the stagecoah project, the library at Hobard in Geneva has all the
Geneva newspapers indexed to the earliest issues and it is full of
references to stagecoach travel and construction of the Genesee Road and
Seneca Turnpike. Also the Canandaigua newspapers go back to the 1790s and
are on microfilm at the library there. It just takes somebody to do the
research.
     I have changed gears in the past few years and am trying to chronicle
water transportation primarily on the lake, including commerce, shipwrecks,
shipbuilding, etc. I've already put quite a stack of it into the computer
which if you are interested I will send to you as attachments.
Dick Palmer