NYHIST-L Archives

August 1997

From:
Bill Casey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:15:57 -0400
Hello:

My name is Bill Casey and I am a dairy farmer and part-time Agricultural
Historian.

I have read some publications by John J. Dillon ( editor and owner of the
Rural New-Yorker 1910-1950) on the plight of the New York
dairyman and have wondered if anyone knows if he has any surviving relatives
or what ever happened to the Rural New-Yorker.  The last issue of the Rural
New Yorker that I have seen was printed in 1962

For those who may have an interest:  John J. Dillon was born in 1854 on a
dairy farm and edited, and owned the Rural New-Yorker publication.
With his position of Editor he heard of the many injustices done to dairy
farmers as they passed the responsibility of marketing their dairy products
to Coops and Marketing groups.  During the 1910's Bordens was constantly
underpaying producers and farmers were not able to organize sufficiently
to demand a fair price.  John J. Dillon was asked to become the leader and
bargain for the farmer---thus the 1919 Milk Strike.

"The Seven Decades of Milk" by John J. Dillon published 1941, tells a history
of the milk industry and the formation of The Dairymen League Coop.

Thanks in advance

Bill Casey
POBox 36
Apulia Sta. NY 13020