NYHIST-L Archives

November 2001

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:47:20 GMT
While we are just beginning to put up manuscript and the like (see the
Pike's Cantonment material at
http://www2.plattsburgh.edu/acadvp/libinfo/library/speccoll.html), I
definitely view this as a way to preserve, not destroy, the originals. By
digitizing it we allow many people to view it without touching the
original. Also, should something (God forbid) happen to an original, at
least we have a digital copy. And, once the hardware investment is made,
the cost of digital preservation is almost entirely the labor involved.
While this is not inconsequential, it IS less than microfilming.

I know, I know, the Web and CD's aren't stable enough to be considered
'archival' but the reality is they are becoming the de facto media.

Wayne Miller
Plattsburgh State