NYHIST-L Archives

September 2001

Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 06:19:56 -0400
Hello

Karen asked me to pass this on to the NYHIST-L in hopes that
some will have connections or ideas to assist with project.
Thank you in advance.
Ruth Ann Messick
----------------------------------
From:  Karen Lamberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Tuesday, September 04, 2001 6:47 PM

General Slocum Disaster Centennial  Scrapbook

Since discovering my own family's connection to  the horrendous
fire and loss of life (over 1,000 souls) aboard the excursion
steamboat, the General Slocum, which sank in New York's East
River in 1904, I  have contacted several individuals and web sites
for information. Of course,as we all know, once you put your name
on a query some place, the Email responses can  become
overwhelming! Thus was the case with the GS!  Then the queries
also began to be directed to me, and I have helped as  best I could.

The upshot of all of this, is that I  have been approached by several
people to work on a centennial project to  commorate the victims,
rescuers, caregivers, and  accidental participants in this drama
from the viewpoint of the families as told  thru the family stories
handed down to their descendants.  But first, those descendants
must be identified and contacted.  If you are a descendant or know
one, I would appreciate hearing from you! There  is a questionnaire
I would like to have you fill out, so that certain details,  like full
name,
who was with this person, if they were aboard, etc. can be  included
in an organized way for everyone and then I would like to have you
tell  me in your own words your family's memories, stories, etc.
about that terrible  day and what happened afterward. If you feel that
necessary facts have not yet  been found in
your genealogical quest for this person, perhaps I can help at the
same time!

Please contact: Karen Lamberton
18 Bon Aire Circle #603
Suffern, NY 10901  U.S.A.