NYHIST-L Archives

March 2002

From:
Fletcher Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:28:05 -0500
To collect information for an article about the early land grants,
patents, and other awards of land in what is now the county of
Saratog, NY, I would like your suggestions for where such material
might be found. I have a print of the "Sauthier" map of 1779 and a
copy of the BeersTopographical Atlas for Saratoga, NY, 1866.

A brief search of the NYS Library Web Catalog has yielded:

George W. Bagley collection, 1816-1937, which includes
"miscellaneous family letters, account, land patents and grants,
1816-1902.  [probably Glens Falls, Warren Co.]

Bowman, Fred Q., Landholders of Northeastern New York, 1739-1802;
"Contains list of land grants in patents in the present New York
State counties: Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Washington, and Warren.
"   [Saratoga Co., not included]

New York State . Surveyor General. "List of land patents granted by
the state, 1784-1794, 5 volumes. Two volumes are in rough
alphabetical order by last name; three volumes are chronological by
filing date.   [may be difficult to extract the "Saratoga" grants]

Thank you.     Fletcher