NYHIST-L Archives

March 2003

From:
Scott Monje <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:57:56 -0500
You might want to take a look at Kathryn Grover, "Make a Way Somehow: African-American Life in a Northern Community, 1790-1965" (Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1994). The book focuses on the city of Geneva, which is in Ontario County but immediately adjacent to Seneca County. It was probably the most substantial settlement in the area in the time period you're talking about. In the late 1700s and early 1800s, Geneva attracted a certain number of Southern planters, primarily from Virginia and Maryland, who brought slaves with them. Some also settled near Sodus Bay, on Lake Ontario. Prior to 1823, the eastern shore of Sodus Bay was also in Seneca County. These people later formed the core of the area's free black population. Because of this migration, slavery, although never really extensive, was growing in the area when it was declining elsewhere in the state. Slavery evidently proved unprofitable in the area, however, and the owners discovered that a New York law from the 1790s prohibited them from "renting" their slaves out to others. In 1810, a new law was passed (I assume at their behest) that allowed slaveholders specifically from Maryland and Virginia who had moved to Seneca, Ontario, and Steuben Counties after 1800 to rent their slaves out to others on the condition that they free them after seven years. As a result, slavery had effectlively ended in the area before it was officially abolished in New York as a whole in 1827. As I write, another source comes to mind: Austin Steward, "Twenty-Two Years a Slave and Forty Years a Freeman" (Syracuse University Pres, 2002), which was written by one of the people brought to Sodus Bay, was later "rented out," escaped, and became an abolitionist in Rochester.

Best of luck with your inquiries,
Scott Monje