NYHIST-L Archives

March 2000

From:
Ian McGiver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:56:44 -0600
I have a question regarding the markets that would have been available to
a cluster of New Englanders who in about 1789 settled the area that is now
present-day East Bloomfield in Ontario County (NY).

Does any one know where they would have sold/traded their first crops?
And What were those first crops Wheat? Potash? Livestock?

I ask this question because I am tracking the members of a single family
who settled in several parts of the New York backcountry all at the same
moment (1789). The other members of the family stayed much closer to
Albany, and so they would have had relatively easy access to markets
for their goods (which appear to have been wheat and potash). The
brother who went to East Bloomfield got hold of very good land--but it
would appear (to me at any rate) that he had far overstepped the limits of
the Albany market. Where else might they have traded? were their any
particular crops/products that were particular to that locale?

thanks for suggestions

Ian McGiver