From:
Hugh Mac Dougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 18:43:31 -0400
Daniel P. Mannix, "Black Cargoes: A History of the Atlantic Slave Trade,
1518-1865" (New York: Viking Press, 1962 -- various reprints available),
says (p. 17), "Slaves from the Gold Coast were highly regarded by the
English and usually sold at a higher price than those from other regions.
In the West Indies they were called Coromantees (a name spelled in various
fashions) after the port of Coromantine, from which many of them had been
shipped. It was not an African tribal name, and the Coromantees may have
belonged to several different tribes; but it seems likely that most of them
were either Fanti, from the largest of the coastal nations, or else Ashanti
from a hundred miles in the interior." Mannix goes on to discuss in more
detail the use of the term, and various attitudes towards "Coromantees" by
slave dealers and buyers.

Hugh C. MacDougall
Secretary/Treasurer
James Fenimore Cooper Society